Friday, August 22, 2008

Amy wants me to do a "50 Things" thing, so here it is

1. I will absolutely not sing around anyone who I don't know very well.
2. Parker Jonathan (baritone for the Kingsmen at the time) called me up on stage at a Kingsmen concert several years ago, and had me sing the baritone part on "The Glory Road." In front of hundreds of people. So I guess there's a little wiggle room in #1, given the right situation.
3. I'm learning to play the banjo.
4. My career best round of golf is a 65, four different times. That was before the kids came along, when I actually got to play golf once in awhile.
5. I hate it when people read over my shoulder.
6. I like to cook, and make liberal use of peppers and other spicy ingredients. Yum!
7. My kids are the best thing ever, even when Wes is being a little booger!
8. My favorite TV show theme song is from Monk, with the Harvey Birdman:Attorney at Law theme a close second.
9. In my sophomore year at Mankato State University, I was selected as recipient of a fellowship to study geology in Europe for a year. Three months later, I decided to transfer to Crown College, so the fellowship went bye-bye.
10. Three months after that, I met Amy at a new student function at Crown, so I guess it worked out OK.
11. Amy, Nhia Moua and I won a 3-on-3 sand court volleyball tournament our first year at Crown.
12. I love to hunt deer, and have taken five bucks with 9-point racks or better. My best is a 14-pointer.
13. The only thing in the world that terrifies me are bees/wasps/hornets. I was stung hundreds of times as a kid, and I guess that somehow stuck in my mind as a negative experience. The thought of a Barack Obama presidency also terrifies me, but for slightly different reasons (nationalized health care....aaaarrrrrrgghghh!).
14. My favorite piece of music is Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata."
15. My favorite song that actually has words is Gold City's "Under Control."
16. My favorite movie is "Tombstone."
17. My favorite book is "The Little Prince" by Antoine se Saint-Exupery. CS Lewis' "Til We Have Faces" and George MacDonald's "Lilith" get honorable mention.
18. The best ribs I've ever had were at a grubby little place called "12 Bones" in Asheville, NC.
19. I need to lose about 20 pounds.
20. I love playing fantasy football.
21. I would love to live in Tennessee some day.
22. The most nervous I have ever been in my life was in the State Spelling Bee when I was in 7th grade. The local and regional competitions didn't bother me, but for some reason once I got up on the big stage with all those people in the audience...
23. I love Asian cuisine, especially Thai food. I order my curry dishes "Thai hot," which makes my eyes water, my nose run, and I even start to sweat, but I love it!
24. I was voted "Class Clown" my senior year of high school. I can't imagine why.
25. I have never used steroids.
26. I had a bad case of strep throat my freshman year of college, and took so much NyQuil that I slept for -- true story -- 40 hours straight. I have witnesses. Well, they didn't see the entire 40 hours, but they were the ones who woke me up...almost two days after I fell asleep.
27. The largest fish I've ever caught was a 32-pound amberjack, fishing in the Gulf of Mexico.
28. I like pie better than cake, ice cream better than sherbet, dogs better than cats, and root canals better than today's pop music.
29. I proposed to Amy onstage at an Oak Ridge Boys concert 10 years ago. All she wanted to do was touch William Lee Golden's beard.
30. My nickname in high school was "Beaker," because a friend of mine thought I looked like that Muppet.
31. I spend too much time on Facebook.
32. Whenever I see a Pac Man/Ms. Pac Man game, I am irresistibly compelled to play it until I get the high score.
33. My dream car is a midnight-blue Porsche 997 GT2 (o-60 in 3.6 seconds...woohoo!!!).
34. My brother and I have only once lost a game of Catch Phrase. Go ahead...take us on.
35. Eric Mutnansky and I got lost in Rothenburg, Germany and were harrassed by a gaggle of drunked French chicks. We later discovered that we were only blocks from our hotel, but headed in the exact wrong direction. The sightseeing was nice, though.
36. The best food I've ever eaten in my life was in a little restaurant wayyyyyy up in the mountains on the Germany/Austria border. If I had ANY clue where exactly it was, I would so go back there some day.
37. I've never hit a deer while driving, but I have hit a wolf, raccoon, squirrel, turtle, rabbit, and a crow, and I almost hit a turkey once!
38. Give me the old hymns of the faith over 99% of the vapid, poorly-written contemporary music infesting most churches today.
39. I hate onions. And hippies. But mostly onions.
40. On the DISC Personality Inventory, I'm a high "I" and high "S."
41. San Francisco is my favorite city in America, in large part because of the phenomenal restaurants (House of Nanking and The Slanted Door!).
42. I've been known to yell at the TV when the Twins are playing.
43. I'll eat almost anything with cherries in it (or cherry flavored). To my palate, cherries are the opposite of onions.
44. I have more than 2000 Southern Gospel songs on my iTunes.
45. I love mowing the lawn.
46. I dream of being on Jeopardy!
47. If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to become a professional bass fisherman.
48. I loved Hawaii (played basketball there my senior year of college), but it's FAR too crowded for me to ever want to live there.
49. I miss being in college.
50. I'm going to sleep now.

3 comments:

♥ Craig & Jessica ♥ said...

Like I told Amy...very interesting! So...when you make liberal use of peppers and other spicy ingredients....onions DON'T count? Yummy...they really go together!

Karen said...

And in my case, alot of hippies that I've come in contact with smell like onions. Maybe it's their lack of deoderant usage! ;)

I agree with the Barack Obama thing too....he's alot scarier than a swarm of bees!

♥ Craig & Jessica ♥ said...

:)